Best Advice On Composing A Compare And Contrast Essay
Compare and contrast essays always seem like an easy thing to do, right? You just find some similarities and differences to write about, wow that should be so easy. Unfortunately, it would be a lie to say it’s that bland. As simply as possible, a compare and contrast essay will describe how two or more things/items are similar and different at the same time so as to formulate a larger point about the subjects. It’s true, as human we enjoy to compare things; from cars, to houses, to animals, to ideas and many more – so as to expand our understanding on the subjects.
While composing a compare and contrast essay, consider some of the best tips below.
- Before anything else, make sure that you understand the basis of comparison. From the essay title you will find the basis for comparison. In some unique cases, you may be asked to come up with the basis for comparison. When you are to come up with the basis of comparison there is no limit, except the fact that you should include only useful information.
- List down both similarities and differences. Once you’ve comprehended what the topic asks of you, take time to think critically about the subjects’ similarities and differences. Another practical method you could; draw a Venn’s diagram with two or more circles intersecting, depending on the number of subjects to be compared. Name each circle with the subsequent names of the subject. If you have any points that are similar in both subject you list them where the circles intersect, and the differences are written in the convenient circle space. Note that this is not the outline for your essay but a guideline to which you will craft the initial plan.
- Based on the weight of the similarities and differences, you can develop a thesis statement. Study and find out which aspect outweighs the other and construct your statement with facts in your mind.
- Decide the structure your essay will take. There are two ways of structuring a comparative essay.
- Point-by-point comparison – in this type of structuring, each body paragraph only focuses on the differences or similarities including discussion of all subjects.
- The block structure – in this structure you describe the qualities of a subject in its own body paragraph, hence the block structure.
It takes more than enough effort to completely write a unique comparative essay, with the above tips, you’ll be sure to compose a better essay by yourself. Check this website for more information.
Looking for help with essay? Visit Vivaessays.com - expert essay writing service.